1 Communication and motivation
- Are rig site and office based safety meetings minuted?
- Distributed to all involved/concerned parties?
- Are identified action items reviewed and formally closed out?
- Do field supervisors attend the office-based meeting?
- Do management attend the rig site meeting?
- Are all contractor representatives invited to attend?
- Do supervisors and crew have a common language?
- Are translators with work experience available in the crews?
- Are any of the supervisors proficient in the local language?
- Are signs and information available in the local language?
- Is there a requirement for bilingual foremen in the contracts?
- How is the quality of communication on the rig site verified?
2 Work permit
- Does the work permit system cover all aspects of hazardous work?
- Are the requirements known to all the work force & supervisors?
- Are permits in force on display in a central location?
- Is the location reserved for this purpose?
- Is there any system of review of the use of the permit system?
- Who in the organisation sees copies of permits issued?
3 Safety training and induction
- Are there notices instructing all arrivals to report in/out?
- Is there a system of induction - is this recorded?
- Who is identified as the focal point for induction?
- How is the emergency signal demonstrated?
- How is the use of emergency safety equipment demonstrated?
- Are there printed cards giving muster locations and site rules?
- Are these handed out to every new arrival?
- Are they printed in the local language as well as in English?
- Are there clear hazard signs in appropriate place on location?
- Are escape routes clearly visible?
4 Contingency plans
- Are reports of drills prepared and distributed after each drill?
- Is the drill performance reviewed?
- Is there a system of shortcoming correction?
- Do the drills follow published procedures - how is this checked?
- Is the quality of drills discussed by management?
- What are the instructions in the event of an unsatisfactory drill?
- Are the contingency plans available to all key staff?
- Including those involved in the plan?
- Has there been feedback from all personnel involved?
- Have the plans been changed and the changes distributed?
- Do the contractors have their own contingency plans?
- Any conflict?
- Are there dry runs of contingency plans?
- Is so, how is the exercise reviewed?
- Who is focal point for amendments, to contingency plans?
- Does the head count check with meal sheets?
- How are short-term visitors include in POB at all times?
- Is the POB list available to the person responsible for the head count?
- What other duties/responsibilities does he have?
5 Accident investigation
- Are accident reporting and investigation procedures fully described?
- Are they distributed to all supervisory staff?
- Does contract oblige participation in accident investigation?
- How are contractors informed of other's near miss accidents?
- Are procedures, rules or specifications changed as a result of accident investigations?
6 Contractor safety
- Are copies of all contracts with site supervisors?
- With contractor representatives?
- Is the content of sub-contract terms vetted by the Company?
- How is agreement to the sub-contract by the Company specified?
- Are the work schedules of the sub-contractor compatible with safe practice?
- Is there a relief schedule?
- How is the skill and experience level of sub-contract staff checked?
- Are medical requirements met by sub-contract staff?
- Can the sub-contractor communicate with the contractor supervisor?
- How is a language problem identified?
- Are personnel required to work over or near water?
- Is there a system for verifying swimming capability?
7 Maintenance procedures
- Is a register kept on the rig of all slings and shackles in use?
- Is lifting equipment marked with the SWL?
- Are slings marked with an ID number?
- Is there a system for regular inspection of lifting equipment?
- Is there certification of inspection of lifting equipment?
- Is responsibility for sling selection clearly understood?
- Are the rules pertaining to lifting procedures known to all crews at all levels?
8 Weight control
- Is there a system used for checking loads?
- Is there an instruction how often loads are to be checked?
- Are rig stability calculations required?
- Is there a deck-load limitation?
- Is there a system for checking the actual loads on the rig?
9 Fork-lift trucks
- Is there a system for authorisation of fork-lift drivers?
- Is a list of authorised drivers available?
- Does the fork-lift work in Zone 2 area?
- Is there a work permit system to cover this?
- Is the vehicle suitable for Zone 2 work?
- Is a reversing alarm fitted and working?
- Do the rules forbid lifting of personnel with the fork-lift?
- Are these known to the supervisors and crews?
10 Industrial hygiene
- Are chemical data sheets for all chemicals available?
- Are they distributed to transport and rig supervisors?
- Are hazardous chemicals identified and isolated?
- Are personnel working with these chemicals aware of the hazards
- Do they know what to do in the event of a spillage or accident?
- Are shower and eye wash available in mud mixing/handling areas?
- How are 'empty' drums and sacks dealt with?
- What happens to excess chemicals on site?
- Are 'removal' or waste disposal personnel aware of the dangers?
11 Hazardous area classification
- Is the hazardous area classification according to the IP code?
- Is the IP code applied on the drilling location?
- Is a hazardous area diagram available on the rig?
- Is it clearly visible where current work permits are on display?
- Do key personnel on the rig know the hazardous area boundaries?
- Are cars allowed to be parked on the location?
12 Flares and vents
- Is the rig fitted with a mud-gas separator?
- Are drawings available?
- Is there a mechanism to prevent gas venting through the mud-line?
- What are the operating instructions to the drillers?
- Can a gaseous influx be circulated out safely through the separator?
13 Gas cylinders
- Are local gas supplies to a recognised standard or code of practice?
- Are gas cylinders stored upright in a shaded area?
- Is oxygen separated from fuels?
- Are cylinders properly colour coded and fitted with caps?
- Are there records kept of the location of each bottle used?
14 ESD systems
- Do all supervisory staff know how to actuate the ESD function?
- Do they know what equipment is actually shut down?
- Are there written description of the ESD system available?
15 Radioactive sources
- Are there regulations governing use of radioactive materials?
- If so, who is identified as legally responsible?
- What is the limit of radiation around the source storage container?
- Is radiation verified below the maximum permissible level?
- How is this verified?
- Is there a register of radioactive sources kept on the rig?
- Who is responsible for updating the register?
- Is copy held by the senior operations engineer?
- How is the use of portable radio-transmitters controlled?
- Is a register of all portable radios available on the rig site?
- Are isolation notices available?
- Is there a procedure for informing others of radio silence?
17 Electrical earthing
- How is rig equipment earthing tested?
- Are all individual tanks and skids properly earthed?
- Is equipment of service companies included?
18 Service contractors
- Do all service contractors receive a site safety induction?
- Are Company transport standards complied with?
- Do service staff have copies of relevant Company standards?
- Are they all included in safety meetings?
- Do all personnel know their emergency response duties?
- Is participation in emergency drills routine?